Massage For Pregnant Women – Some Benefits And Contraindications
1. Benefits Of Massage For Pregnant Women
- Pregnancy massage promotes your overall wellness
- It helps to reduce stress
- It can relieve headaches
- It can help backache
- Massage can also benefit edema
- It aids better sleep
- It encourages better lymph and blood circulation
- It can even aid anxiety and depression which had been triggered by hormonal changes
- It helps with leg cramps
- Massage for pregnant women can also reduce other normal discomforts experienced during pregnancy
2. What Is Different About Specialised Pregnancy Massage Therapists?
During pregnancy your body is experiencing huge changes in the circulatory system, and the blood volume can increase by as much as up to 50%. Also the blood flow going to your legs becomes more sluggish, this means that you are at higher risk of having a blood clot in your lower legs. Additionally the anticoagulant levels rise in order to prevent a hemorrhage during delivery. A pregnancy massage expert is trained to take all of thse factors into account and use the right massage strokes accordingly.
3. When You Should Not Go For Massage During Pregnancy
- If you have a high risk pregnancy you should not go for massage – this is of course unless your medical practitioner specifically recommends massage.
- If you have a history of varicose veins or embolism, you should not have massage during pregnancy.
- If you are carrying a multiple pregnancy, twins or more, then you definitely need to check with your practitioner before going for massage – this is because more babies means there is more stress on your system.
- If you have a pre-existing health condition, such as diseases related to any of your organs, hypertension, asthma, cancer, or any condition that requires medical attention, you need to consult firstly with your doctor.
- You should not go for massage if you are experiencing cramping, abdominal pain or bleeding.
- Massage is contraindicated if you are vomiting or nauseous.
4. The Debate About Massage During The First Trimester
5. Where You Can Look For Pregnancy Massage Experts
You can search via their website which is:
Midwife sonographer facilitated
Consultant Led, Centre of Medical Excellence
All articles on the blog and website are intended as information only. Please do not consider any of the information provided here as a substitute for medical advice. At all times seek medical advice directly with your own doctor and medical team.