Good food hygiene should always be practised and particularly in pregnancy. The following guidelines will help you :
When Buying Food
- always check the expiry dates
- while you are out check that the salads, vegetable and fruits have been washed in clean water
- and you are unsure as to the safety of some foods such as ready to eat salads or whipped ice-cream it is best to avoid it altogether
When Storing Food
- ensure the foods are being stored at the correct temperature
- always store raw foods and ready to eat foods separately.
- it is best to store raw foods on the bottom shelves of your fridge
When Preparing Food
- always wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling raw food, particularly chicken and fish
- ensure that you wash fruit and vegetables in clean water before eating
- again, check the expiry date. Although it may have been bought fresh it may have expired its use by date before you use it.
- ensure ready meals are heated as per instructions on the pack. They should be steaming hot throughout.
- cook all meat, chicken and fish until it is well done
- never reheat food more than once
Please remember to always wear gloves whilst gardening or handling cat litter, before meal times.
All articles on the blog and website are intended as information only. Please do not consider any of the information provided here as a substitute for medical advice. At all times seek medical advice directly with your own doctor and medical team.